All photographs were taken by the Ambling Wanderer

Monday, February 24, 2014

Green Stink Bug, Chinavia hilaris

Green Stink Bug
Chinavia hilaris

- Green Stink Bug -

It's been a long while since my last post. I seem to be in a bit of a winter hibernation. The brumal weather and a new job have prevented me from ambling and rambling through the woods. So, I'll have to share a specimen that I "caught" back in October on a warm autumn day, the green stink bug, also known as the green soldier bug.

I felt this insect's Latin name was ironically apropos. Hilaris comes from the Latin word for "cheerful" or "lively." And, neither this wintry season nor the bug's foul odor are cheerful or lively. The green stink bug, much like the invading brown marmorated stink bug, will release a foul odor liquid if disturbed. (I knew a fella in college who would dispose of these pests by trapping them with packing tape as not to crush them.) However, unlike the brown marmorated stink bug, the green stick bug is not considered an invasive species in North America. At some point in the future, I will feature the brown marmorated stink bug, but do not be surprised if I wait until fairer weather to create another post.

- The Relative Strength of a Blade of Grass -

- Note Black Antennae Segments Differentiate It From N. viridula

Thank you to the community at Dave's Garden with helping to identify this specimen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment