All photographs were taken by the Ambling Wanderer

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Spotted Jewelweed, Impatiens capensis

Spotted Jewelweed
Impatiens capensis
 
The same day I discovered the lovely cardinal flower I discovered the spotted jewelweed, also known as touch-me-not. This little orange flower is a native species to much of the eastern United States. Like the cardinal flower, it prefers wet soil and can found, like the ones I discovered, in culverts and wetlands.
 
The touch-me-not name comes from the flowers seed capsules which will burst open if touched. It is also known as jewelweed because of how water beads up on the plant's leaves. It is fun and beautiful to take a leaf and swirl it around a bowl of water!
 
Jewelweed, has also been reported as a cure for poison ivy. Just mash up the stems and leaves and then apply to the irritated skin. I have not tried this natural cure myself. According to discussions on the web, the jewelweed cure has mixed results everything from alleviation to doing nothing at all.
 
Orange spotted jewelweed flowers
 
 It looks like it might eat you
 
 
Water "jewels" on a leaf
 


No comments:

Post a Comment