All photographs were taken by the Ambling Wanderer

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Barn Swallow, Hirundo rustica

Barn Swallow
Hirundo rustica
 
I got lucky with this photo. My little Coolpix Nikon really isn't meant for taking pictures of birds. Birds generally move quickly and fly away when one gets too close. But this little swallow sat on his perch for a long time letting me photograph him (or her).
 
Barn swallows are particularly fun because they live close to humans, preferring man-made structures for shelter. I find them fun to watch when I cut the lawn. They dance and tumble around behind the mower snatching up all the seeds and insects that my mower flings into the air.
 
Despite there fun nature I do worry a bit about these birds residng so close to humans. Their nest and fecal matter can pose a health risk to humans and domestic animals if they are contaminating food or water sources. But one does require special permission to remove swallow nests.
 
Head profile

Looking away
 
Reader's Digest Book of North American Birds (2012)


No comments:

Post a Comment