All photographs were taken by the Ambling Wanderer

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Chipping Sparrow, Spizella passerina

 
Chipping Sparrow
Spizella passerina
 
One June morning I placed a lawn chair in the middle of my driveway and from there captured as many birds in my field of sight. I was able to get a couple of nice shots of the American chipping sparrow collecting some material as it was returning to its nest in an azalea bush.
 
This sparrow is famous for making its nest out of horse hair earning it the nickname, hair bird. Being that Paradise Farm is a horse farm, it is no surprise to find these little birds creating homes on the property. As a child I'd collect these delicate little hairy nests that fell out of bushes in the autumn.
 
On the driveway
 

In the azalea it called home
 

It's hidden nest (with furry little chicks)


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipping_Sparrow
Reader's Digest Book of North American Birds (2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment