All photographs were taken by the Ambling Wanderer

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Painted Turtle, Chrysemys picta

Painted Turtle
Chrysemys picta

Moseying towards the driveway

Sometimes nature's critters will be waiting right outside your backdoor, like this painted turtle. One morning when I got up early to photograph birds and flowers, I found this little guy moseying towards the driveway. He was very patient with me and didn't run away as I moved him
around trying to take some good photographs. He was one of my first creatures to be catalogued in my census.
 
Painted turtles are widespread across North America and New York. Having been able to adapt to human proximity and disturbances, makes them the continent's most abundant turtle. They get their name from the red and yellow stripes across their body, head and shell underside. There are four subspecies and I believe this fella is an Eastern Painted Turtle (C. p. picta). You don't have to travel far to find unique and delightful residents of nature.
 
Red and yellow stripes
 


No comments:

Post a Comment